What We Do
The landscape surrounding the food and beverage industry is dynamic and everchanging. OMDP has a team of experienced attorneys that can successfully help navigate your legal issues, giving you the peace of mind to focus on what’s most important to you.
Growing and Distribution
- Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act. Protecting your PACA trust rights and your right to payment for the produce you sold on credit.
- Packers and Stockyards Act. Ensuring and collecting prompt payment for your livestock.
- Transportation. Handling claims where products are loaded in good condition but damaged during shipment.
- Agriculture. Solving issues with pesticides and preservatives, bank loans, and government subsidies.
Restaurants, Bars, and Foodservice
- Contract Disputes. Resolving issues including vendors with late / incorrect deliveries, contractors who breach agreements, and landlord and real estate disputes.
- Employment. Handling wage and hour claims, discrimination allegations, and union issues.
- Premises Liability. Providing legal counsel for when an employee gets hurt, when a customer gets hurt, or when someone has had too much to drink.
- Insurance. Determining appropriate coverage, exploring potential exclusions, and protecting your interest if your claim is denied.
- Business Issues. Aiding with entity formation, state and local compliance, and franchise and subsidiary issues.
Safe Food Handling
- Food Safety. Determining your responsibilities under the Food Safety Modernization Act and related laws, and what the penalties are for noncompliance.
- Allergens. Establishing a plan to protect your customers from an allergic reaction and yourself from a liability claim.
- Regulatory compliance. Navigating health inspections, state and local codes, audits, and other requirements.
- Import/Export. Determining how to handle a rejected load, border inspection issues, customer rejections, or international restrictions on pesticides and preservatives.
- Consulting. Developing and implementing best practices, and providing direction for proper training and documentation.
We recommend the following attorneys to represent you in food and beverage matters.